SPOILER ALERT!
Simple Perfection  - Abbi Glines

1.5 rounded off to 2 disappointing stars!!

Where do I even start with this review?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I think I may have to apologize in advance to anyone who might find this review/rant offensive. Nothing against Abbi Glines really. I have loved some of her books in the past and I think she pretty much got herself a sweet slice of the NA pie genre. But that said, this book was such a disappointment for me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Simple Perfection starts off where Twisted Perfection left off with Woods dealing with the death of his father and its aftermath. Della, while far from totally being healed from her night terrors, is coping with Woods by her side. Woods is now the sole owner of the Kerrington Club, one that his grandfather had always meant to be for him. With that comes the added responsibility of dealing with his mother and of course, Angelina.

*Sigh*

Angelina, the bitch from hell. I should focus my hatred on her but surprisingly enough, aside from that "encounter" with Della during the first half of the book, she pretty much disappeared the second half. Yeah, I can't believe it myself. I thought for sure Ms. Glines would try and milk that to the hilt ala Nan circa Too Far Series, but she didn't.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Just as I was about to breathe a sigh of relief, this BIG MISUNDERSTANDING happened. One of my most hated plot device ever, second only that other plot device that happened at 86%. It's like the author was saying, "Hmm, wait a minute. I've written myself into a corner. There's no more conflict to keep the story going, let me throw in some epic "BIG MISUNDERSTANDING" right here." Boo-f*ckin'-hoo. Guess what? It didn't work. It just made me hate Della more. Yes, more.

There, I said it. There is a thin line between a heroine who, because of the circumstances that happened in her life, is vulnerable and a WEAK heroine. Della, I'm sorry to say, is just a weak heroine. She got better towards the end but more than of half of the book she was just whiny and pathetic. You want to find yourself and you don't want to be a burden? Great! Wonderful! That's totally understandable! But by God, if you truly wanted to find yourself and be self-sufficient, you don't call another guy and leave with him on the back of his bike and take a road trip with him! Who does that?

And Woods? What the hell happened, man? It was like some alien invaded Woods body and made him clingy, needy and so f*ckin' annoying. Where the hell did the real Woods go? I want a sensitive hero, sure, but there is sensitive and then there is OTT, clingy sensitive. Woods became the latter, okay? Not even his dirty talk can save him because even that was an epic fail.

Exhibit A

"Ah, that's good, baby. So damn good. Take it deep. Oh, hell yeah, gag on it." His words came out thick and raspy.

Gag...what?

Exhibit B

"No one touches my pussy. This is my pussy, Della," he said in a growl.

Um, yeah. Won't even explain that one. I know what he meant but it just came out wrong. Totally not sexy. *smh*

Truthfully, the only reason I didn't DNF this book was because most of my GR friends who've read it ahead of me said something big happened at around 85% or 86%. I wanted to know what happened. So sue me. And when I finally did know what happened I wanted to do this...

And this...

And this...

But then I realized that all of those things are not really good for my health, so I just did this...

Yeah. Not real healthy either but hey, what can I do? It happened. I didn't want it to happen but I'm not the author. The author can pretty much do what she wants, right?

I mean, here's thing. I'm not upset because of what happened to that character. I get it. Sometimes authors employ this certain plot device if it's essential to moving the story along. I mean, GRR Martin is famous for this, and I get it. But what pissed me off was the fact that this "THING" happened in order for another character to get his own book and jump-start his story, which is totally unnecessary, IMO!

And contrary to what publishers (I'm assuming the publishers are pushing for more books) think, not every character deserves a f*ckin' book!! Some characters are better off as side characters!! These two characters were well loved already. There was no need to mess with that! It was already good. The fans are satisfied. Just leave it be! Huhuhu! They should have just left it alone.

But they didn't. I felt manipulated. Ugh! And as for Tripp's story?

Sorry. I don't even know if I'll read Grant's story anymore. It's just the same old tactics all over again. Readers are actually smarter than that. I get that there is a huge market for these types of stories but you can only do so much with what flimsy plot you have. Without a strong plot and relatable characters, there is no point in continuing this farce.

I don't begrudge Abbi Glines for writing these stories. She's good at it, and As I have said, I've enjoyed them in the past. Yes, she tends to be formulaic but for me, as long as the execution is spot on and we get likable and strong characters, I'm okay with formulas. But what I'm not okay with is churning out book after book without more or less the same plot and the same old characters. It becomes boring and tedious. And that's just plain wrong.